Bertram Dillon Steele Lecture
The Bertram Dillon Steele Lecture commemorates UQ’s foundation Professor of Chemistry, Bertram Dillon Steele, one of the original four professors appointed to the University.
Professor Steele was also the first president of the University’s Professorial Board (now known as the Academic Board) and chaired the Royal Commission on Prickly Pear, once an environmental scourge in Queensland.
The lecture was founded in 1982 by the UQ Chemical Society within the then Department of Chemistry.
Speakers in recent years have been:
- 2016 - Professor Dean Tantillo, The University of California (Davis), USA – 'Walking in the Woods with Quantum Chemistry - New Concepts in the World of Natural Products Biosynthesis'.
- 2015 - Professor Mike Green, Penn State University, Pennsylvania, USA – 'Capture and characterisation of reactive intermediates in P450 catalysis: Insights into biological C-H bond activation'.
- 2014 - Professor Vanderlan Bolzani, Universidade Estaduai Paulista (UNESP), Brazil – 'Brazilian Biodiversity, a Sophisticated Lab of Biologically Active Compounds: Tracing New Models for Medicinal Chemistry'.
- 2013 - Professor Virgil Percec, P. Roy Vagelos Professor of Chemistry, University of Pennsylvania – 'A Materials Genome Approach to Complex Biological-Like Systems'.
- 2012 - Professor Andrew B Holmes AM FRS FAA, CSIRO Division of Materials Science and Engineering; University of Melbourne School of Chemistry, Bio21 Institute ; Imperial College Department of Chemistry - 'Organic Electronic Materials: a Licence to Print Money'
- 2011 - Professor Peter H. Seeberger, Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces - "Preventing and Curing Infectious Diseases: Carbohydrate Vaccines and Continuous Flow Synthesis".
- 2010 - Prof Chris Abell, Professor of Biological Chemistry, the University of Cambridge - "Fragments-Based Approaches for Drug Discovery and Chemical Biology".
- 2009 - Pof Dale Poulter, John A. Widstoe Distinguished Professor of Chemistry, University of Utah - 'Discovering Enzyme Mechanism and Function'.
- 2008 - Prof Leo Radom, ARC Professorial Fellow, School of Chemistry, The University of Sydney - 'The Mechanism of Action of Coenzyme B12:A Computational Approach.'
- 2007 - Prof Cameron Kepert, ARC Federation Fellow, School of Chemistry, The University of Sydney - 'Molecular Materials: From Clean Energy Storage to Shrinking Crystals...'
- 2006 - Prof Craig J Hawker, Director of the Materials Research Laboratory, University of California, Santa Barbara - 'Studies at the Interface of Organic and Polymer Chemistry: Facile Procedures for the Generation and Commercial Application of Polymeric Nanostructures.'
- 2004 - Assoc Prof Margaret Harding, School of Chemistry, The University of Sydney - 'Fish Antifreeze Proteins and Glycoproteins.'
- 2002 - Prof Ronald J Quinn, Director of Natural Product Discovery, Griffith University - 'Molecular Architecture - Natural Product Interactions with Protein Domains: The New Wave of Natural Product Research.'
|Bertram Dillon Steele Lecture section|